Monday, June 25, 2012

Engagement Party 101

Image


Hey hey hey guys,

If you've been following, you know that I've been having a small issue with an engagement party idea and how to even go about planning.  My wonderful best friend/ maid of honor has been researching and helping me and so I think we have come up with an idea.  Of course I'm not going to say too much about it until we get closer to the date.  Any who, I'm sure a lot of engaged couples have been going through the same struggle as I am so I want to share something that helped me.

Theknot.com has been one of my go to websites for all of my wedding questions.  Anything from etiquette to where to go for honeymoons is on this site.  If you have not subscribed to this site (free), do so!

Here are five tips from an article on theknot.com about engagement 101.  I am not a rule following type of girl but I do like to read and see what the "rules" are.  For each bullet, I'll tell you my opinion based on my ideas for my party.  These are great tips to help get you started.

  • Give the Couple Room to Breath- I'm not going for tradition here so most likely my fiance' and I will be throwing our own engagement party.  It's tradition for the brides family to host the party but all of my family lives 6+ hours away so that will be hard.  To include everyone from both sides and friends, I believe that meeting in NC will be better for all.  Plus the wedding will be in Chicago so my family has the favor for the wedding.  SN- my fiance's family is here in NC and in Georgia.
  • Find Out the Size of the Wedding- My wedding size as of now is average.  I do not have an official count for you guys because we are still making a list but stay tuned. But in this, everyone who is invited to the engagement party will be invited to the wedding.
  • Consider What Will Make the In-Laws More Comfortable- I will make sure everyone is comfortable including myself.  I sometimes forget to make sure I'm happy because I'm always so worried about everyone else's happiness.
  • Suggest That the Couple Register Before Hand- I've definitely decided that I will not be registering for gifts for my engagement party.  I will however be asking for something else.  Stay tuned for this.
  • Remind Yourself That There is Still a Wedding to Throw- I love this point.  Don't splurge on the engagement party because you're definitely going to splurge on your wedding.  This is why I will be going for something very simple, fun and family oriented.  This is a way for both sides of the family to officially meet before the wedding.
I suggest you view this article in full HERE.  What do you think?  Send me pics of your engagement party and I'll post them.  I'll be posting the details of my engagement party soon so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment